What better way to use up a seasonal surplus of tomatoes than in this beautiful tart? The flavor combination of tomato and basil is practically synonymous with summer, and Dijon mustard and gruyere cheese add a savory flavor base.
1 recipe for pate brisee
5 tomatoes, any variety is fine, sliced thin
2 tbsp of Dijon mustard
1 cup of Gruyere cheese, grated
ripped basil for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Roll out pie crust and fit it into a fluted tart pan or pie dish.
3. Prebake pie shell for 10 minutes before proceeding.
4. Spread mustard on the bottom of the pie crust and top with grated cheese.
5. Place tomatoes in an overlapping design making a concentric circle over the cheese.
6. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper and bake at 375F for 40 minutes until tomatoes look wrinkled.
7. Sprinkle tart w/ thinly sliced basil leaves and serve.
Delicious with an arugula salad.