Here the classic Western gets a style upgrade with some tasty home fries and a buttery croissant.
8 large eggs
3 tbsp (45 mL) milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
¾ cup (175 mL) Spanish onion, chopped
⅓ cup (80 mL) smoked ham, diced
½ cup (125 mL) red pepper, chopped
½ cup (125 mL) green pepper, chopped
⅓ cup (80 mL) cheddar cheese, grated
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a 9-inch (23-cm) nonstick skillet melt butter over medium, add onions and cook for 8 minutes. Add ham, red and green peppers and cook for 5 minutes longer. Set aside in a bowl.
3. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Heat pan over medium and add half of the egg mixture. With a rubber spatula slowly stir the eggs in a clockwise position until they begin to start to set. Gently lift the edge of the eggs to allow any uncooked liquid to run down into the pan. Place half of the pepper mixture, along with half of the cheese, in a line along the middle of the eggs and gently fold the eggs in half to form an omelette. Reduce heat to low until cheese has melted and eggs are cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Make second omelette by repeating Step 3 using remaining ingredients.
5. Slice the 2 omelettes in half and place on croissants with fresh lettuce.
Makes 4 sandwiches
ROOT VEGETABLE HOME FRIES
Microwaving the root vegetables beforehand shortens the cooking time, as well as prevents the outside of the potato from getting blackened before the inside is tender.
1 lb (500 g) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
and cut into ½ inch (1 cm) dice
½ lb (250 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch (1 cm) dice
½ lb (250 g) parsnips, peeled and cut into ½ inch (1 cm) dice
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 cup (250 mL) onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme, finely chopped
¼ tsp (1 mL) paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place potatoes and parsnips in a glass baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 6 minutes.
2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low. Add onions and cook 10 minutes until softened.
3. Add butter to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Add steamed vegetables, thyme, paprika and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Sauté vegetables until crisp and brown on the outside, and tender on the inside. About 5 minutes.