Tough to improve on traditional beef stroganov but we did trade up to 1 3/4" filet mignon steaks (easy to cook perfectly - 3 minutes per side - iron pan - med/high heat - garlic butter).
12 oz dried egg noodles
1.5 medium onions halved, then thinly sliced
2 tbsp garlic butter
4 1 3/4" filet mignon steaks
1 1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper (fresh ground)
2 garlic cloves - very thinnly sliced
3/4 pound sliced white mushrooms
1/4 cup brandy (Remy Martin)
3/4 cup beef broth
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup sour cream
• Cook noodles in salted water (6-8 litres) until just tender - drain
• Heat garlic butter in iron pan, salt and pepper steaks, place in very hot (just starting to smoke) pan, flip once only with tongs (3 minutes per side or less) and remove and place on plates in warm oven.
• Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper and sauté in pan, scraping any browned bits with a wooden spatula until onion just begins to brown. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté until liquid from mushrooms has almost evaporated.
• Add brandy and boil until evaporated.
• Add broth, worcestershire sauce and cook to soften onions and mushrooms.
• Remove from heat and stir in sour cream
• Toss noodles with some sauce
Place noodles in center of plate, top with filet, spoon onion, mushroom and sauce over and serve with bagette slices and good French red wine.