A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise. It cannot pretend to replace the practiced hand and telling glance of a watchful cook. For that
reason feel free to stir your own ideas into this dish. When you cook it once, it becomes yours, so personalize it a bit. Add more of an ingredient you like or less of something you don't like.
Try substituting one ingredient for another. Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
1 pound bacon, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 head garlic, separated, peeled and sliced
2 red peppers, chopped
3 -5 heaping spoonfuls chili powder
2 pounds ground beef
2 x 28 ounce cans whole tomatoes
19 ounces can black beans
19 ounces can kidney beans
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add bacon.
2. Add a splash of water and let the bacon render its fat.
3. As the water evaporates, the bacon will brown.
4. Pour off excess fat and add the onions, garlic and peppers.
5. Cook until they are softened and just beginning to caramelize.
6. Add chili powder and ground beef and stir well, chopping the beef up with a wooden spoon.
7. Add tomatoes and beans and season with salt and pepper.
8. Simmer for an hour.
9. If you have a chance, make this a day in advance and reheat when needed. The flavours will brighten and meld as it rests overnight.