Cookbook author Gesine Bullock-Prado (sister of actress Sandra Bullock) shares this recipe for a childhood treat she and her sister loved!
Makes about 1 1/2 pounds
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups salted dry roasted nuts
1. Spray a large sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt and cayene pepper. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
2. Clip a candy theremometer on the side of the pot and boil mixture without stirring until the temperature reaches 300º.
3. Immediately remove the pot from the heat. Sprinkle baking soda over the syrup and stir. The contents will bubble vigorously. Stir in the peanuts.
4. Quickly pour mixture evenly onto prepared sheet pan. Use small spatula (sprayed with the non-stick spray) to spread the brittle in the pan while it is still warm.
5. Cool completely and break into pieces.